Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Valentines Drama

I am at home, recovering from my first ever Valentines as a teacher. You might say "but it is not Valentines". Oh, right. Well due to meetings all afternoon long tomorrow (the 14th) my team and I have made Valentines a two day holiday this year, much to my regret now.

No, it really isn't that bad, and it was fun for me. Having been homeschooled during Elementary school, I haven't been able to experience the sheer thrill that come from making my box (or in my class envelope) for my valentines and watching it fill, or the anticipation of the fabulous Valentines Feast.

Yes, I said feast. Let me break it down for you. 5 students brought 25 cupcakes. I have 21 students in my class. That is 125 cupcakes total. All full size, no mini cupcakes for us, we party in style. I just did the math, that is 5.95 cupcakes each. Let's add to that an envelope full of Valentine candy, cookies, popcorn, Kool-Aid, and cake. Yes, cake. Essentially all that we had was straight sugar. Maybe next year I'll forgo sending home notes to bring a treat, and we'll all just bring a pound of sugar and eat it straight from the bag with a spoon.

I let each students (against my better judgement) have cake, 2 cupcakes, Kool-Aid, popcorn and a cookie. They had to take their candy home, and ask their parents if they can eat it. They also each took a cupcake home. I gave the 5th graders I tutor after school each a cupcake, as well as the mother and little brother that were helping in my class have anything they desired. I still have 30 cupcakes sitting in my room, and I don't even like cupcakes. I think I'll take them to our staff dessert buffet tomorrow.

I'll admit, it was fun. And being a teacher on Valentines isn't half bad. I brought home two stuffed bears and 4 boxes of chocolate. Whew, that will last me a while!

So, with all this said, Happy Valentines! And don't forget to eat a cupcake.

4 comments:

Cheri said...

Tomorrow night our kids will arrive at AWANA fully hyped up on sugar.

I'm planning to take a nap tomorrow afternoon so I will have a little energy myself.

Happy Valentine's Day, Abi - it is fun knowing what is going on in your (sugar-filled) world.

Unknown said...

Oh, boy! All of you must have had sugar highs. I helped with STAIR again today - they had none yesterday so they had their Valentine's treats today. Yep, chocolate or strawberry flavored milk, cupcakes,and a box of those candy hearts with messages printed on them. They are 2nd graders too. The little boy I had must have had ants in his pants as he could not sit or stand still for 5 minutes. I was the substitute so hadn't established any connection with him.
Happy belated valentines day, Abi.
Love you.
snowbirds

Joyce Johnson said...

Life has a way of making sure we don't miss anything. So glad you had the opportunity to do the elementary Valentine thing, even though you are now full grown. Having a few sugar filled holidays makes lots of memories. You made some today!

Molly Johnson said...

Oh Abi, how funny! I'm just catching up on your posts and this one is making me giggle to myself at my table in the library. I definitely tried to explain the "shoebox/valentines/candy" phenomonen to my european friends last week. They thought I was making it up.
Hope the kiddies have settled down since then!
i<3u, mj