Saturday, March 08, 2008

The Backpack Saga

I kicked a student's backpack this week. Not because I was angry or frustrated, but because it was laying in the floor in the middle of my doorway to my room. It wasn't a full blown kick, more like a firm shove with my foot.

A parent from another class saw the backpack being firmly shoved with my foot and called the school to complain. I had to have a little chat with one of our assistant principals.

Lesson learned. Don't kick backpacks. But, if kicking the backpack is the worst decision I make during my career as a teacher, I don't think I'll be too bad off.

In other news, I am pretty sure I'll be staying at my school for year 3. I really truly believe that for whatever reason, God has this job for me at this point in my life. It's not what I had planned when I packed up and moved down here, but do our plans ever really end up being the best for us? I am trusting God and so excited to see what is in store for me in this season.

2 comments:

Zach said...

Bleh, I guess I can see a parent's concern for a student's backpack. At the same time I can totally understand your desire to move the backpack.
Its never fun to get your hand slapped though. Sounds like you handled it like a pro.

Joyce Johnson said...

So I finally read the back pack happening, but what struck me in this post is your comment "do our plans ever really end up being the best for us?" We sure think our plans are the best in the beginning, but God certainly does have a way of getting us to the place where plans are adapted a bit and we're blessed beyond measure. I'm so happy for you that you love your job and the "place" where you are in life right now!