Thursday, February 26, 2009

Ponderments


I have been trying to think of a blog post, and I have actually had lots of ideas lately. I guess there is just a lot going on in my head. They've ended up being all compiled into one pretty random blog post.

I was driving home from work a few days ago and I saw a new gang tag of a building. For those of you who don't know, a tag is when a gang graffitis their number, name or something on a building in their area. I didn't think anything of it, and I wondered to myself if I am getting numb to it, or if it just doesn't worry me as much as it used to.

I've seen the same man sitting on a lamp post twice when driving home from work. I guess I must do my best thinking then. I worry about who he is, where he's going, and if he has enough to eat.

I am tired of people disappointing me. In the little and the big stuff. I feel like I should just expect disappointment, and I think that means I am becoming jaded. I don't want to be.

I worry about getting married one day. Two people close to me are experiencing, in different ways, the pain that infidelity brings. It breaks my heart for them, on so many levels.

My heart also breaks for a little girl at my school, who no matter the outcome of recent events, is a victim.

I feel like I am on the verge of giving up on one of my students, as I was telling Vanessa tonight. It's been seven months, and I have seen little progress from him. After working with him today I was incredibly discouraged, and I don't know where to go or what else to do.

I admire Vanessa, her strength. I have watched her this week and been amazed at her enduring strength; she is one of the strongest people I know.

I admire Grant as well, his unconditional love for his wife. He impresses me. His patience and love are evident.

I am thankful that I have friends who have let me into their home, and thus also into their lives. The opportunity that we all have to be incredibly real with one another is amazing, and overwhelming at time.

I am excited for spring, a new beginning.

1 comment:

Cheri said...

Lots of disappointments in life, but lots of wonderments too, Abi!

Hang in there with your student. It sounds like he is one of those who really needs his teacher to believe in him!