Sunday, January 27, 2008

Books You Should Read

I've been making a mental blog for the past few days. I do that a lot, I come up with a blog in my mind, and usually forget to put it out there, so it's amazing I remembered this one. It's not much, but just a short list of books I think you should read, for various reasons.
  • Harry Potter - whether or not you agree/disagree with the content, you should read this/these book(s). They are well written, and my opinion is that if you are going to strongly disagree with something, you should at least know what you are disagreeing with and why.
  • I'm A Stranger Here Myself - For anyone who has ever been overseas...Bill Bryson's thoughts on returning to America.
  • Twenty Someone - Transition...especially in your 20's. Great perspective and thoughts.
  • Early Bird - Honestly, it's just a funny book.
  • Other People's Love Letters - Reminds you of a time when someone saw the real you and loved you for it.
  • I Sold My Soul on eBay - Really interesting...ask my parents. I read it while they were here visiting, and couldn't put it down. It is written by an atheist, and is a lot of his perspectives about what is right and wrong about Christianity/organized religion in general.
  • The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane - Yes, another kid's book. BUT...I have to say, this book gives me goose bumps every time I read it, and is just a wonderful story about a rabbit who learns to love. Similar in some ways to the Velveteen Rabbit, but better I think. Children's books are much better written now than when I was a kid.
  • Marley and Me - If you only get one of these books to read from my list, this would be the one I recommend. Read it with a box of Kleenex.
Read more, pretty much everything on TV (but the food network) is junk anyway.

2 comments:

Mpromptu said...

Aww, thanks for the shout out about the eBay book! :) It means a lot.

-- Hemant

Joyce Johnson said...

I appreciate the book list Abi. I like an easy list to look through and choose from - from someone I respect.
Thanks!