Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Children Are Mirrors

I saw racism today, not in a raw or violent way. The racism I saw was more disappointing, more saddening than a violent crime. I saw racism in a 7 year old child.

It was not aimed at any student in my class, and it was said by someone that The United States would label as a minority. It disappointed me.

The comment made was about a picture of an Asian person in one of our vocabulary PowerPoint, which I made. When making them last year, I intentionally incorporated pictures of people from all cultures and races, specifically because I thought that my students being primarily of minority groups, needed to see their faces reflected in the pictures they see.

I realize that I don't fully get it, being a white woman, and I probably never will. I will never be judged based on what color my skin is, or my appearance. My students more than likely will be, if they have not already. I was so greatly saddened by today's events, it disappointed so much because I thought they would get it. Or I think they should. I don't know.

During my long lecture to my two students, I tried to explain to them what racism was and why their comments and jokes were not okay. I talked about how some people call others "dirty Mexicans", and how that made me angry and how this was the same kind of thing. I talked about how 50 years ago, kids with different colored skin couldn't go to school with kids who had white skin. Their faces were so serious, I hope they understood.

I know these kids didn't think up thier jokes, they heard them from someone at home. Children are the best mirrors. If you ever want a reality check, hang out with some kids for a while and they'll mimic every quaility you don't want mimiced. They pick up on the smallest things so remember to watch what you say and do.

No comments: