Saturday, March 31, 2007

Loud Talker and Proud of It!

I am a loud talker, and very aware of it. It is something I don't do on purpose, it might be in my genes, because I am pretty sure that both of my parents are loud talkers. I am reminded, however, of my loud talking when I hear the doors of the teachers next to me discreetly close when I am teaching.

Something that I was not aware of is that I have "interesting" expressions while I am talking/teaching loudly. As part of being a new teacher I am assigned a peer consultant who comes and observes me and gives me feedback, usually about every 2 weeks or so. One of my peer consultant's comments this past week was that I make the funniest expressions when I teach. Ummm, thanks?

I will attribute the funny expressions to the fact that for most of my students, English is their second language. I have found that this year I do a lot more talking with my hands, and acting things out, and in addition to that, I now am aware that I make faces while I teach. Hmm, maybe it's time to tape myself to see how funny I really must look. The kids don't complain though, so I guess it must be working!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ya' Think I have a pretty good idea of the origin of this. It is paternal, even tho' the other 1/2 of this union denies it. Goes all the way back to the 4th generation - she also had a voice that everyone could hear! And be proud of it. Nothing wrong with that. Heard that you have company arriving sometime this week. Enjoy!!
Blessings to you
GMJ