Tuesday, March 06, 2007

We're gonna stay at the YMCA

I should be in bed. I have a meeting tomorrow at 8 am, and instead, I find myself tapping away at my keyboard. Two reasons: I am as of late, a bit of an insomniac, probably due to extreme fatigue, and also, if I go to bed without relaying my daily adventure, I'll forget it and tomorrow it will be half as interesting as it is now.

Swimming lessons. An important milestone in life. My kids receive free swimming lessons through the YMCA, as part of a program that they have. I, for one, think this is great. I was a swimmer in high school, so I do have a bit of a love of water; but also I think all kids should learn how to swim. Not only for their safety, but so that they don't fear water later on in life.

For this wonderful adventure, I am the sole supervisor of 21 youngsters from the moment we step out of the school doors, until the moment we come back, well except for actually teaching them how to swim. That's my free time to enjoy coffee (thanks Y). It's not like I have people helping me in my classroom, but there are so fewer threats within the safe walls of the classroom. The YMCA involves a bus trip, locker rooms (thank goodness they have private ones for the kids), water, showering, towels, changing etc. all with many kids who have never had swimming lessons, or been to the Y.

The girls I was not concerned about, because I got to be in there watching their every move. However I was sure that some of the boys would take advantage of their new found freedom. Getting ready for swimming lessons were fine, but the changing back into school clothes was another adventure.

I had 1 lost sock, 1 lost Wal-Mart bag, 1 person post swimming sporting a Faux-hawk, (fake Mohawk), 1 almost bus sick child (my seatmate of course), 1 student who didn't take of their underwear when swimming and had wet pants the rest of the day, (we'll go over that before we go the next time), 1 cuss word and 1 water fight with the nozzles from the showers. All in all, I'd consider that a very successful day, and hey, they even had their first swimming lesson, and maybe learned something.

Think of me on Tuesday afternoons for the next 6 weeks from1:00 - 2:45, because lost socks and Faux-hawks will be my life.

1 comment:

Joyce Johnson said...

Thanks for the laugh Abi. Reading this was a great way to end my day!