Thursday, May 10, 2007

Promises

I saw a double rainbow today. It's always good to be reminded of Gods enduring promise. I had to keep a promise to a student this week, here's how it played out.

Ring ring.

I answer my phone in my classroom.

"Hello?"

"Ms.J?" I can hear the hesitancy in his voice.

"Yes."

"I need a ride to school."

"Okay, I'll get someone to come pick you up. You did the right thing to call."

About a week and a half ago one of my students was absent because he and his sister didn't have a ride to school. The next day he came and I wrote my work phone number on his folder in huge Sharpie marker. I told him if he ever needed a ride again to call, and that someone would come get him.

He followed through, and even though he ended up being tardy on the day he called, he made it to school, which is most important.

Smart kid, fabulous teacher.

If I do say so myself.

4 comments:

Zach said...

Abi, good story. And you are indeed a fabuloso teachero. I like reading about these kinds of details. Thanks.

Zach

Abi said...

Thanks for commenting. I've been a bad blogger, but I am glad you keep a-checking up!

DBJ said...

Hey Abbers,

You are certainly "fab" in our book! ... and as far as a "bad blogger" ... what do you think I am?

D

Unknown said...

Way to go, Abi!! That is something that student will remember for the rest of his life. A teacher that cared so much as to give him her telephone # is just too great. Had a great time this past week-end.