Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Reflections

I have 7 days of school left. Not counting the day I'll be spending observing other classes, and our field trip to the zoo; counting them I only have 5 days of teaching left. Where has the time gone?

I am not trying to be all melancholy, although I really am going to miss these guys. I was watching my class yesterday, doing their math centers, all calmly working with their partners, knowing exactly what to do and I was amazed. Amazed at them and how far they've come, amazed that I've made it through my first year, and amazed that in a week I'll be giving them the last "hug or high five because I care about you".

The group I will be sending on to 3rd grade is not the group I had on August 15th. Well, kind of. Most of the boys still come to school with bedhead hair, and most of the talkers still don't raise their hand, but when I look at what they can do now compared to what they could do at the beginning of the year, it's like I am seeing a whole new group.

They've learned a lot, well, we've learned a lot. I have my share of "bad teacher" moments, and they've really had plenty of "bad student" moments. Oh the stories I could share. I've had to apologize to students more than once, and I've had many students apologize to me. Academically they amaze me too, and I amaze myself a bit in that I had a role in teaching them some of what they know. Pretty crazy to see the impact I've had on others.

I told them today that they'd never have another second grade teacher, that I was the only one they got, and that I'd never have another first class, that they were the only one I got, and I couldn't have asked for a better first year.

There will be tears I'm sure that last day, and I'll make them promise to come back and visit me, and above all I hope that they remember at least one thing that I've done this year that has helped them, and I will carry them with my in my heart.

5 comments:

Molly Johnson said...

Awww Abs! You made me all teary too... It's ok! So much change in a short amount of time. I hope everyone enjoys their last days, and I can't wait to see you this summer! :)

DBJ said...

Hey Abs !!! ...

Of course we are super proud of you ... and the huge impact you had on that group of squirm-urchins this year!

I know that your investment in their lives will pay back many fold in years to come ... and no doubt they will come and see you!

We're looking forward to seeing you, too!

Stastnou Cestu!!

D

christiana said...

you make me so happy and proud. you are one amazing teacher for sure. i love you. can't wait to see you soon!!
Christi

christiana said...

you are so sweet. i love you. you are one amazing teacher!!! i love you, can't wait to see you ~

christiana said...

you make me so happy and proud. you are one amazing teacher for sure. i love you. can't wait to see you soon!!
Christi