Monday, September 17, 2007

Bribery

My school levels for reading, which means that all the kids who read below grade level all go to 2 teachers, the kids who read at grade level go to 2 teachers and the kids who are reading beyond grade level all go to 2 teachers. Clear as mud?

I teach an "approaching" level, so kids who are working below grade level. The kids who I have, are in my opinion low because they are very unmotivated. Last week I reached the point of unashamed bribery. I went to Target and found the biggest bag of gummy bears known to mankind. I then began rewarding every answer and raised hand with a gummy bear. Right answer = gummy bear thrown to you from Ms. J. (Don't worry, they also now know the 5 second rule - 5 second rule, it's still good!) I now have all the 100 % student participation, and my gummy bear bag is near extinction, I suppose I'll have to start weaning them off.

No comments: