Thursday, September 27, 2007

Dear Parents

Dear Parents of Elementary Students Everywhere.

Please don't ask me for parenting advice. I am 23, and childless, raising your child is not my job. I am here to support what you are doing, and to help build up your children educationally, socially and emotionally, but I cannot and do not want to replace you.

Do not always believe your child. I promise you that they are going to, at some point, try to pull the wool over your eyes. If your child is making outrageous accusations that I am in some way doing something that sounds outrageous, more than likely they are not telling the truth. Don't assume either, that they are always wrong. They have a childish innocence that is what I cherish, please help them hold on to this.

Fathers, teach your boys to treat girls with respect and admiration. They are young ladies, and need to be treated that way. In the same way, fathers, treat your daughters with admiration and respect. Treat them like young ladies, and they will act that way. Mothers, love your children too, nurture their more sensitive sides. Mothers, empower your girls. Teach them to say no in a confident way, but without disrespect. Teach your daughters that they can grow up to do anything they want to.

Make them go to bed on time. Don't let them watch adult TV, make them read a book instead of watching TV at all. Teach them to respect adults, take no for an answer and stand up for those who can't stand up for themselves.

This will make my job just an ounce easier.

3 comments:

Cheri said...

Good advice Abi.
I once read that a teacher said to all the parents at an Open House meeting,
"If you promise not to believe everything your child says happens at school,
I promise not to believe everything everything your child says happens at home."

Laurel said...

HA! I love the advice from cheri! Sounds like you might have had a rough week! Did cassi call you last night? I guess nobody showed up... :( I told rachel I wasn't going... it was Grey's night and I couldn't miss the season opener... ok well I will see you on SundaY!

Zach said...

Very good words Abi. Well done.