Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Success

The definition of success--To laugh much; to win respect of intelligent persons and the affections of children; to earn the approbation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give one's self; to leave the world a little better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition.; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm, and sung with exultation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived--this is to have succeeded.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last year I would get a little jealous when my students would go back and see their teachers from previous years. It wasn't so much that I cared about them seeing their teachers from other years, but being my first class, these kids were MINE!

One of my students from last year comes and sees me almost every day. She'll sometimes come twice, once before school, and once after school when she comes to pick up her cousin who is in my class. When she sees me in the hall she'll walk out of line from her class to give me a hug.

My greatest hope is that I'll be that teacher that every kid has, the one that really sticks out in your mind. I am hoping I just might be that teacher with this particular student, and maybe I am.

I am not jealous about those kids last year either, because now I get it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Experience is a great teacher. One year has given you the wisdom of knowing that those kids need more than "book-learning>" Good job.
GJ